My family and I are super excited about a trip I am taking to South Africa with my oldest two for my sister Debbie's wedding. It has been a few years since I went home and in my heart it is still very much home.
My children's excitement is childlike and all about making friends, seeing family and mostly seeing the wild animals. The kids have no real concept of the culture I grew up in, the culture that shaped me. Ironically, some of the things that are South African about me, my kids just regard as things about Dad. When my daughter referred to our living room as a 'lounge' in her kindergarten class, I'm sure her teacher had no idea what she meant. Or the way my son calls an 'airplane' an 'aeroplane.' They learned these things and many others from me, but they don't know where I learned them.
So much can be said about this, but for now I have to wrap up, so all hail the non-rotic "r" and bring on the braaivleis and pap.
Wednesday, May 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Tell Debbie congrats from me. . .not that she will remember me, but well wishes are always nice. I hope the aeroplane ride will go nicely for you and the kiddos. Too bad I was never meant to fly long distance. I get antsy on the flights to Salt Lake City.
You guys will have so much fun. They are very lucky that they get to have the cultural experience that many of us never have and as they grow older they will really appreciate where you came from and how you grew up. I know we love a lot of the things about Steven's mom that is instilled in her from the way she grew up and where she grew up. She loves America but she still has South Africa in her soul and heart. She asked me for a servette in Disneyland, it took me a minute but I finally understood what she meant. :)
The Overson's blog is www.oodlesofoversons.blogspot.com
Post a Comment