Monday, August 6, 2007

A new addition


We wanted you all to know we had our beautiful baby girl. She is named Fiona Clementine MORKEL, and weighed 7 lbs 8 oz (3.388 kgs)and was born at 39.5 weeks gestation.

It was a really, really fast labor, and we'll have to tell you all about it some time. But the short story is, that Wendy was the only one at the birth, and delivered her own baby calmly and perfectly all on her own, on our bed!! I was on my way home from a quick 25 minute appointment, our plan was to call the midwife at 10:00 am when I got home, because Wendy had been having contractions on her morning walk at 8:45.

No time for a midwife or even a call to me or my mom in the basement. Wendy was letting in bath water to soak away some of her discomfort, and was suddenly overcome with the urge to push, so she climbed on the bed, and delivered the baby in three pushes. Both mom and baby are doing great, and their were no major complications.

It was one very eventful day to say the least. My wife is my hero. She was completely calm and collected through the entire experience, she says it was her easiest labor ever. It amazes me how much faith she has.

I said to Wendy if we ever have another, and she so much as sneezes after 36 weeks along, we are calling the midwife ASAP.

When things have quieted down a bit, we'll fill you in on all the details, we are just thrilled to have a happy healthy mom and baby. I've always believed in miracles, I just never knew I'd get to marry one.

Lots of love

Pete

1 comment:

Taranani said...

Hey, guys... I had heard most of this from Christine, but it's something else to read it and see the pictures. Congratulations to both of you. What sweet people you are. Cameron is the one who has started blogging his thoughts and adventures traveling to Afghanistan and everywhere else. I need to do it too. Some of the things Ali say are just to good to forget, so I better write them somewhere. I'll keep you posted if I ever get around to it.